Jake Hates Space (bit)
During a 2010 episode of It's Just Banter, Jake and TC were performing a tradition unlike any other: handicapping guests on an upcoming season of the Guest Booking League. Included in this particular GBL was a particularly famous individual... a decorated fighter pilot, a man who spent 7 hours 52 minutes in a space suit in outer space, and the second human to walk on the surface of the Moon. Jake explained in a method not sensitive to today's climate:
- "Next up, we have some old fuck named Buzz Aldrin. ... Dude, who wants this? ... Is this a Tom guest? I don't know man, I just think space is super gay. I think astronauts are gay...I think space is gay..."
TC and Jake agreed Buzz would be a 3.5+ for the GBL.
- audio from TheUnTicket
Continuing the Bit
Jake continues his anti-space agenda bit to this day: "the space program remains a massive waste of money and I will be vindicated on this front" . The predictable response to this from the Twittersphere is usually a recitation of the secondary uses for inventions of NASA: "insulin pump, heart bypass, MRI, cordless tools, ear thermometer."
Supporters of space should rest assured though, that Jake probably doesn't hate space. In a 2013 interview with CentralTrack.com he noted, "I'm just trying to be entertaining and, at this point, if I sat down and said I didn't want to defend it anymore, that would not be entertaining."
- NASA. "Buzz Aldrin, Ph.D. (Colonel, USAF, Ret.), NASA Astronaut (Former), Biographical Data" (January 1996); http://www.jsc.nasa.gov/Bios/htmlbios/aldrin-b.html
- It's Just Banter. "GBL" (May 19, 2010); http://itsjustbanter.com/2010/05/19/gbl/
- Twitter. @notjackkemp (July 29, 2016); http://twitter.com/NotJackKemp/status/759217940814295042
- Twitter. @notbumpwills (July 29, 2016); http://twitter.com/NotBumpWills/status/759220886239055874
- Cobra, A. "Bottom Rung: Could The Ticket's Future Rest In The Hands of Four Goofballs Known as Team Havin' Fun?" (February 13, 2013); http://centraltrack.com/Culture/3289/Bottom-Rung/Could-The-Tickets-Future-Rest-In-The-Hands-of-Four-Goofballs-Known-as-Team-Havin-Fun